Many of our customers at UNITS ask how to pack their belongings. I respond carefully! Okay, really there are many things to consider when packing: weight of boxes, durability of belongings, and ease of access. Start with lots of high quality boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap and have a scisscor and sharpie on hand. Here are a few of my personal favorite packing tips to help get the job done:
- Do not over pack boxes; bulging box sides can damage surrounding boxes and not protect what is inside.
- Place liquid containers in plastic bags to reduce the chance of leaking.
- Reinforce boxes with an extra strip of packing tape!
- Place heavy items in the bottom of the box and lighter ones on top.
- Remove light bulbs from lamps before packing.
- Place lamp shades in boxes to protect from denting.
- Never pack any item that could cause a fire or damage to the UNIT (no toxic materials, gas, kerosene, fireworks, loaded firearms)
- Pack items from the same room in the same box to make unpacking easier.
- Pack some everyday, so you are not overwhelmed with packing all in one day.
I hope these tips help when packing your UNITS storage container. Remember UNITS of Milwaukee is only a phone call away (414-476-8648) when you need some advice. Check out these additional packing tips from our web site. Happy packing!